Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Saintly

Here they are, the 2nd grade Italian Saints.
Boy, that was a spectacle!
I have been volunteer gone insane this week. I won't bore you with the details, I will only say that I have been leaving the house a little after 8 and not getting home until after 4. It feels like I have a JOB and I am beat. Hats off to you who do this all the time. My house is a wreck and I am too tired to knit in the evening. But you know, I have slept really well!
Next week will be back to normal. I hope.
But then... Lent begins next Wednesday!! I have been debating what to give up this year. Last year and the year before I gave up my bad attitude. It was very effective. I don't think that my attitude is as bad as it was (not by a long stretch) and I am wondering if I could possibly improve even a little more... There is only so much one can do when the situation is as it is, though, don't you think? Cop-out, I know.
The other thing I am considering is coffee. I have pretty much gone off the coffee. And since Giant Eagle quit brewing the pumpking spice, I can resist temptation, sometimes. I don't make it at home, at least. So it wouldn't hurt me to quit it all together.
Don't even think for a minute that I could give up chocolate or sweets in general. I recognize my weakness and there is no point in pretending that my body chemistry is complete without the antioxidants in chocolate. :)
Are you giving up anything? How do you decide?

1 comment:

LaurieG said...

I'm thinking about giving up health food! ;) I never "give up" anything. I do occasionally fast, though (which is the same concept.) I think deprivation is the point. To my thinking deprivation is meaningless without prayer, the whole idea is that what you're praying for is more important than what you're giving up. In the Catholic church, Lent is seen as a season of contemplation and prayer, right? So the deprivation gives added emphasis to that. You could [gasp] give up buying yarn. (In that case I'll see you at the yarn store on Mardi Gras!)