Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Magic Loop vs. 2 Circulars and Why I Love My DPNS

So, lately, I have been branching out. I have been knitting socks in all sorts of wild and crazy ways. Well, not as crazy and sideways and inside each other as some people. I have been trying different techniques. First I did the Grashoppers on 2 circulars and now I am doing the Mardi Gras on Magic Loop. Here is my humble opinion; Magic Loop is way better than 2 circulars.

  1. Only one needle to buy.
  2. While knitting, there is no dangling interference. This is huge, probably should be #1, but I am cheap.
  3. No confusion about which needle to knit with next.
  4. Nice to carry around, not so many pokey points.

Now, why I love and will never give up my DPNs. It is simple, really.

  1. I carry around a sock-in-progress with me almost everywhere I go.
  2. I have 2 little kids that interrupt my knitting bliss regularly.
  3. Picking up my knitting is like, for some, lighting a cigarette, waits are almost immediately cut short.

Huh? You don't follow? How about this. Say I knit a 60 or 64 stitch sock. With 5 dpns that is 15 or 16 stitches on 4 needles, on a Magic Loop or 2 Circulars that is 30 or 32 stitches on each of 2 needle tips. Socks (all projects, really) are completed one stitch at a time and most of the time I only get to do 15 or 16 stitches. Somehow, I don't pick up the socks as often when I am not sure that I can get through all 30. Can you believe this? But, it is true. I guess, it is all about setting myself up to feel like I can accomplish something, as if rearing two brilliant and talented and beautiful children isn't enough?! Apparently not. I need socks, lots and lots of socks.

To sum up, I need to be able to do bits and pieces and my DPNs are the most efficient for the way I knit. If I do use a circular technique, it will be the Magic Loop. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

No comments: