Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Think about it

There was a rebroadcast of a Frontline episode the other night on PBS. If I had looked at the listings, I would have encouraged you to watch it. Technology being what it is, however, you can watch it here with Windows media player or realplayer.

It is called, Is Walmart Good for America? Now, I am not going to harp on my global economics issues, but I do think that it is important to be educated. If you don't realize what impacts your decisions make, you may be making bad decisions. Ignorance is bliss, I know. And if we must speak frankly, and heaven forbid, have a far reaching discussion, these issues are about a lot more than corporate policies of one of the largest retailers in the world. It is still supply and demand, the more they supply the more we demand and the more that they supply. It speaks to larger cultural issues of gluttony, egotism, materialism and many more less than attractive attributes. We can talk about the breakdown of the American family, how wages and good jobs sent overseas and our 'need' for stuff often sends both mother and father off to work and leaves the television to parent our children. We can talk about how this cycle is self perpetuating and accelerated by the mindset that more is better and cheap is better yet and if we buy our kids just exactly what they want they will love us and forgive us for not being there.

So, I am not going to go on and on about this subject. I feel strongly about it, and I wish only that you look at this program and consider what part you play in this story. You have choices, and yes, maybe they aren't that much more attractive at this stage in the game in terms of where you shop. But, also, might you consider how you shop and not just where? How much is enough?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey, I am leaving my own comment... is it working?

LaurieG said...

Ok, I'm going to try again. I saw this episode when it first aired (and heard the piece NPR did on it). I'm trying to avoid Wally World and I'm with you! Dave, on the other hand says that in 20 years we'll all be working at Wal-Mart.