Saturday, May 13, 2006

So Many Projects, So Little Time

Good to have Friends




So while The Mister and I were cavorting around Milwaukee, Laurie was frolicing in Maryland.
Being the fabulous woman that she is, she brought me home treats. Here is a hint, people, choose your friends wisely!!

Quietly, I will tell you that she picked me up some "socks that rock." I am being quiet because INBA has called dibs on my yarn. I have had to make sure that it was put away very completely so that he would quit fondling my yarn!
I know, I know, I should be more generous with the child. Uh, but not with $21 yarn. And I know, I should make him is own rockin' pair of socks... maybe with some of that Bernat that I have.






Maybe, when Laurie shows me how to use this, I will be a better Mom and show him how to use it, too. I mean, I am pretty sure that I am doing an ok job with the kids since they both have a healthy curiosity and respect for wool and cotton. I can't be totally wrecking them because I don't like them fondling the Merino. I don't like them twirling my hair at 6am either.

Anyway, about this. Laurie made me this spindle with a cd! How creative is she? And the rest is wool roving. Ultimately, this is going to be yarn, I hear. I googled some instructions for using a drop spindle... All I can say is... Huh??? I need some hands on instruction. I have to wait until next Friday, tho.

And as you can see, Laurie was thinking of INBA, too. She knew it was impossible to leave behind this mitten pattern.

Just envision it in grey and white... yes, that's it. Shark Mittens! INBA saw this and immediately thought the same thing. He needs to learn how to knit so that he doesn't put so many projects on my list. He also wants another sweater, but I am not ready to go there. Besides, it's May. And I already know I can do it in 2 weeks when I don't know what I am doing...









I'm Not Done, Yet?!?!
The prayer shawl is coming along nicely, now that I have changed to bamboo needles. This yarn was just too slippery for me on the metal.

For some reason I cannot take a picture of it that is in focus. I am going to chalk it up to the fuzziness of the yarn. We'll call it soft focus and pretend that it is some fancy special effects. 'K? 'K.











Jaywalking, anyone?

I am into the heel flap, now.

I am not quite sure how I feel about this pattern. I think the pattern stitches are pretty nifty, I like the chevron effect. I am not so sure about the way it transitions. It is a bit funky-bumpy at the ribbing and heel. I guess I will reserve judgement until I wear them, but I am a bit skeptical at the moment. I suppose it could be the Socotta that is making it funky, but I don't know.

Speaking of Funky... On WYEP at 3pm on Saturdays is the Soul Show. I really enjoy this show and it almost always flashes me back to High School. Anyway, INBA doesn't like it when I dance. I feel bad for him, but it is my house and I can dance if I want to! *foot stomp for effect*
I asked him what he doesn't like about the way I dance.
He replied, "You dance funky."
Um, sorry, kid... that's what I was going for, thanks for noticing.

And still, I feel like making him a shark.

I had started this right after our evening with the Harlot.
I lost my enthusiasm after trying to get gauge. I got gauge with a US5. Ow, baby. This yarn of undisclosed content is knit tight. It makes sense, since I am going to be stuffing it and goodness knows we don't want a shark that leaks. Still, it is tight and tough to do, especially when I am supposed to kfb the stitches on each side of the marker.

But it is on the needles so it needs to be finished. Plus the kid is going to love it.




So, you probably wonder about Eldest. I am not neglecting him. He has a birthday coming. The big 6. He is on 2 hands now. He graduates from Kindergarten on the 8th and has his party on the next Saturday. He is getting plenty of attention. Besides, I cannot hold a candle to Daddy. I am just Mom.

The Mister and the boys are going to to a Fun Run next weekend. The Mister will run a 5K and the boys will do one with their age group. I am going to be cheerleader. I best dust off the pom-pon maker!


And before I go, Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy mother's day heather. You never seem to WOW me with the projects you do. Now you are learning how to make yarn. Wow!! you are amazing. Good luck and I can't wait to see the project and I can't wait to see the shark mittens.
always,
Kati