Thursday, July 27, 2006

Truth and Fiction

Why is being 6 so hard?
Honestly. I didn't expect it so soon. I really didn't think I would be a total moron until he was at least 12. But at 6 he gives me the "can you be any more ignorant?" look. I swear, Eldest, I do know how to get to the grocery store, I do know how to play Mancala, and seriously, I do know how to operate the DVD player.
With knowledge comes power, with power comes the lust for more. He knows just enough to be dangerous, and is trying to figure out how to rule the world. He has begun stacking the deck when we play games and taking advantage of INBA looking the other way. Obviously, we have been having many chats about truth, (dis)honesty, trust, cheating, winning, losing.
It must make a little dent, even if he doesn't see it as always applying to himself. Eldest said to INBA, as he was looking for a toy that he thought INBA had seen last, "You lied, it isn't there, I can't trust you anymore." Of course, the search for a missing toy isn't what we were referring to when we talked about truth, not that INBA was even telling a lie.
I suppose this will get a lot worse before it gets beter. Until then, I need to think of a better way to deal with a back seat driver than, "who has a driver's lisence in this car?" I may be a moron, but I am a moron with car keys.

No comments: