Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Congratulations are in order!
Our lovely playgroup friend had a beautiful baby girl on Sunday. They named her Jessica Dawn. Not just a lovely name, but appropriate because she was born just shy of 4 am! Early riser! Sheesh. As lovely as babies are and as much as my hormones taunt me at times, I have no desire to go down that path again. Good luck to you!

I Read a Book
The reason that I don't make time to read actual books is simple. I really, really enjoy a good book. Yes, I know that makes little sense unless you understand something about me and my lack of will power. I devour books. Little is as important to me as getting to the end of a really good book. And this weekend was no different. I picked up The Joy of Knitting by Lisa R Myers at the library. Not that this book was really that "good" as in well written, but it had enough information and trivial tidbits that I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it in 2 days.

What did I learn from this book? Knitting is a joy. Whew!

And there were some nifty resources listed in the appendix.

Like,
Peace Fleece and Shetland Wool Brokers and wool works

And there are a couple of patterns that I would like to try. What more could a girl want out of a book?

So We Went to Oakland to the Library. Then over to the Museums. On our way to the Museums, INBA points at the Cathedral of Learning and says, "I want to go there!" So we took our first campus tour of a college of interest for our youngest son. It seems a bit early, but if the kid is shows interest... in tall buildings...
Anyway, off to the Museums. INBA didn't want to go to the Natural History, so I took him over to the Art. Can you believe that there isn't a single painting of a volcano to be found in the permanent collection?! Plenty of Pittsburgh burning and plenty of trains, no volcanoes. Needless to say, INBA was not impressed.

Knitting Stuff
I don't have a picture, but I started my fourth ball onto my italian wrap (sounds like lunch, but way yummier.) It is lovely and slinky. I am not sure that my desire to bead part of it is going to happen. I found only one book at the library (by Lily Chin) about beaded knitting. Not really encouraging for the visions that I had. I am withholding judgement until I finish the length and show it to Laurie, my guru.

Brief Birthday stuff...

Like I said, very happy to find Peace Fleece. Social and Economic Justice Knitting. Whoo-hoo.
So If someone wants to bestow upon me either Peg's Mittens or the Classic Wool Sock kit, ok by me. I know this seems a bit much to keep adding present links, I just really don't want to buy my own gift this year. So pardon me.

The List Gets Longer

* I have really nice neighbors.
* I found magnetic snaps at the craft store. (that counts as pgh, otherwise I would be liking online shopping)

I think I am going to start needing some help here... it takes a village, you know.

1 comment:

LaurieG said...

There used to be a volcano picture (mural, actually) in Dinosaur Hall -- right behind the incorrectly assembled T-Rex. Don't know if they got rid of it or not. I also think there's some in the dioramas. And I know there are some (and some wierd twisted rocks) in the Hillman Hall of Gems and Minerals.