Monday, September 29, 2008

The Problem with A Good Book

... is that I have no self control. I lose myself in a great story. I finally read the copy of Water for Elephants that Mrs. H left on my coffee table, um, a good while ago. Really good. Luckily, reading doesn't make me queasy- who knew that knitting ever would?

The Mister is looking forward to reduced energy bills this winter. I am so overheated that he is complaining that he is cold when I have the windows open in the car or the house. I am still wearing sandals because even those shorty anklets keep me too warm. How is that for irony? And rude. What about all these wool sweaters that I have acquired in the last 3 years and the cardigan that may someday be complete? And more rude? ... a belly on fire and Tums that make it not burn but yucky nonetheless. Rude.

Have you guessed, yet? Why I haven't been pregnant in the last 7 years? You thought it was the trauma of having 2 boys 18 months apart? No. I am a cranky pregnant lady. Complain. Complain. Complain.

In the interest of maintaining our friendship, I will try really hard to refrain from giving voice to the tirade in my head. But really, I am not glowing. I am hot and uncomfortable, having an endless hot flash. Somebody bring me a glass of ice water, please?!

I wonder if I have any other good books around here that I meant to read...
Any suggestions?

2 comments:

LaurieG said...

I have CQ's copy of The Pillars of the Earth and the sequel -- can't remember the title. I'm sure she won't mind if you borrow them for awhile. I want to read them but haven't been able to get into them. Otherwise -- try NPR.org they're always recommending books on Morning Edition that sound really good to me. But I can't write down the titles because I'm driving and then I forget. :/

Heather said...

Ah. I remember those pregnant days - mine sounded a lot like that, minus the hot flashes. I had a TON of heartburn, and ate TUMS like candy, too. All I felt was queasy 24-7 after that. Good times!

Water For Elephants was crossed off my list this summer, and it WAS good! How about The Time Travler's Daughter (or is it Wife??) either way - EXCELLENT!!!! Have you read any Jodi Picoult lately? She's always excellent - 10Th Circle or 19 Minutes are recent and excellent if you haven't read them. . . you might also try signing up for Shelfari or GoodReads for more recommendations!

Hope the queasies go away soon!

:O)